Sunday, September 23, 2012

I had to start this blog so I can talk about how sick food has made me and to warn others with food allergies.

At the beginning of the summer, I started to get sick. nausea, dizzy, vomiting, side pain and the worst diarrhea ever. I thought I just had a stomach bug so I took some medication. But it did not go away. I went to my doctor and we started the tests. Blood work. Stool samples. Ultra sound. Cat scan. all came back negative. I had now lost 25 pounds. I was writing a food journal for 4 months and soon learned what was making me sick. Animal products! I have been eating animal all my life and now it was making me so sick I could not even get out of bed.

I went to see a gastrologist and he was going to do a colonoscopy but we finally go my stomach to settle with Lomotil, Zofran and some diet changes. Lomotil is a diarrhea medication, Zofran is for nausea and for my diet no meat + no dairy= no stomach problems. The gastrologist believes that at 44, I am now lactose/ dairy intolerant and that I have adverse reactions to the steroids and antibiotics in commercial farm animals. I had heard of animal medications in meat but now it was literally making me sick.

Now, I am on a mission to eat better and to feed my family better so we are not sick, overweight and tired. My daughter has lactose intolerance and does not really like eating meat and my two sons are meat lovers. So how do I make us all healthy and animal free. This blog will show how I will do this. I will share personal stories, recipes and any information I learn along this journey. I am not a food critic, a medical person and I have no formal education in nutrition or diet. I am just a mother of 3 with a degree in social work, whom is tired of being sick. I hope this blog helps others with dietary problems.

Happy Eating

No comments:

Post a Comment